The uCAM (microCAM) is a highly integrated serial camera module which can be attached to any host system that requires a video camera or a JPEG compressed still camera for embedded imaging applications.
The module uses an OmniVision CMOS VGA colour sensor along with a JPEG compression chip that provides a low cost and low powered camera system. The module has an on-board serial interface (TTL or RS232) that is suitable for a direct connection to any host micro-controller UART or a PC system COM port.
User commands are sent using a simple serial protocol that can instruct the camera to send low resolution (160x120 or 80x60) single frame raw images for a quick viewing or high resolution (640x480 or 320x240) JPEG images for storage or viewing.
The uCAM comes in a compact form factor with a built in lens and a 4-wire connector that provides easy access to both power and serial data.
Small size, low cost and low powered camera module for embedded imaging applications.
• uCAM-TTL: 3.3V DC Supply
• uCAM-232: 5.0V DC Supply
• On-board EEPROM provides a commandbased interface to external host via TTL or RS-232 serial link .
• UART: up to 1.2Mbps for transferring JPEG still pictures or raw images.
• On board OmniVision OV7640/8 VGA colour sensor and JPEG CODEC for different resolutions.
• Built-in down sampling, clamping and windowing circuits for VGA, QVGA, 160x120 or 80x60 image resolutions.
• Built-in colour conversion circuits for 2-bit gray, 4-bit gray, 8-bit gray, 12-bit RGB, 16-bit RGB or standard JPEG preview images.
• No external DRAM required.
General purpose embedded imaging and control
• Security systems, Access Control systems,
Elevator and Remote monitoring.
• Robotics vision, object detection and recognition.
• Industrial control, automotive and medical systems.
• Smart home, video intercoms.