Motor rotation is transferred to the legs via crank plates and linkage rods, causing the Tamiya Mechanical Beetle to walk forwards or backwards at one of two selectable speeds. A linkage rod connected to the beetle’s front right leg swings its horn left and right as the beetle walks. When it bumps into an obstacle, the beetle automatically turns to avoid it and continues walking. Because of this behavior, the beetle can provide amusement by simply running around in a small, enclosed space. The body is made from a transparent green ABS resin that allows you to see all of the motors, gears, cranks, and linkage rods in action.
- Total length: 195 mm
- Total weight: 110 g (without batteries)
- Body material: ABS resin
- 2 possible different speeds.
- Gearbox, motor, and control switch are included.
- Requires one AA (a.k.a. R6 or UM3) battery (not included).
- Continuous running time with Alkaline battery: 3hrs. at low speed / 2hrs. at high speed
Note: This is a kit. Assembly requires using a screwdriver and snapping parts together. No soldering is required. Run on flat, smooth surfaces; avoid running over slopes, on bumpy roads, or on thick carpet.